The new 2008-2009 Cost vs. Value Report has just been released and the results are eye opening.
Remodeling magazine produces the Cost vs. Value Report each year in cooperation with Realtor magazine. Realtors responding to a survey in midsummer said home owners could expect to recoup a national average of 67.3% of their investment on 30 different home improvement projects. At the height of the housing boom in 2005, home owners could expect to recoup a national average of 86.7% on projects. That is quite a difference!
“Once again, exterior remodeling projects lead the way for recovery on dollars spent in this year’s Cost vs. Value survey. When you compare the national averages, replacement projects that boost curb appeal–siding, windows, and decks–give you the greatest chance of recouping your money. Inside, only kitchen remodels can compare, at least on a national level.”
1. Upscale fiber cement siding (86.7%)
2. Midrange wood deck (81.8%)
3. Midrange vinyl siding (80.7%)
4. Upscale foam-backed vinyl (80.4%)
5. Midrange minor kitchen remodel (79.5%)
6. Upscale vinyl window replacement (79.2%)
7. Midrange wood window replacement (77.7%)
8. Midrange vinyl window replacement (77.2%)
9. Upscale wood window replacement (76.5%)
10. Midrange major kitchen remodel (76.0%)
To read more, click here. The source for this information is Realtor Magazine.